Planet Rangers’ Story
It all began when John & Susan Battye wanted to make afternoons rich and meaningful for their youngest children, Jenny and Emily. They created Planet Rangers’ first adventure which set off from their dining room attended by just six kids. But word spread and more wanted to join the fun. These kids were hungry for what they found at Planet Rangers after school- a safe place to be themselves, a community of engaged peers, healthy role models, and numerous opportunities to explore, learn, and grow. Soon, they wanted even more… which led to the creation of Summer Rangers camps, enabling year round adventures for all.
Today, a large dynamic community of families from across the Seacoast use Planet Rangers as healthy complement to school, home, sports, music and clubs. Whatever the season, kids love being part of the story as they learn through adventure, express creativity, explore other cultures and practice life skills and leadership among a mixed-age group of friends. They relish the opportunity to share what they’ve learned with family and friends during each session’s finale event. Many kids stay with our programs for years, growing from camper to CIT to intern while accepting age-appropriate challenges and responsibilities from 2nd to 12th grade and beyond. Planet Rangers, and the friends they make here, are a positive constant throughout their childhood and teenage years.
Camp Directors John & Susan Battye still lead each program and oversee every element~ but are now supported by a broad community of amazing people, including:
- A full summer leadership team of 18 experienced counselors– teachers, parents, and young leaders- plus seven interns, who all strive to make a difference for kids in our community and to make a lasting mark on a program they know and love. Several of these amazing leaders help out during the after school program as needed.
- More than 85 CITs per year who learn to manage themselves while guiding others and making lasting friendships with peers through our after school, summer camp, after hours and volunteer programs.
- Loads of supportive parents who donate their time and energy in ways that make a big difference- like helping us transport kids from Little Harbour School to the after school program, leading games during family game nights, supplying special snacks for summer CITs, and sending in containers, cardboard, and other random items as needed to support kids’ creativity at camp.
- More than a dozen local restaurants and celebrated chefs also understand the value in our programs! They love the opportunity to provide positive experiences to kids in their areas of expertise- food preparation and cooking, menu and meal development, business creation and management, and proper techniques for hosting guests in warm and welcoming ways.
- One year round employee to support all back-end business functions so they can put their primary focus on making rich experiences and adventures for everyone involved in the program.